After talks for the staging of the Miss Universe 2018 beauty pageant in China failed, the prestigious beauty pageant appears to be headed back to the Philippines, sources revealed Thursday.
“At this point, the Philippines is the favored country to host the Miss Universe pageant. If it pushes through, the beauty contest will help promote the reopening of Boracay Island in Aklan,” the same sources said.
Last month, Miss Universe Organization President Paula Shugart and MUO VP for Business Development and Marketing Shawn McClain traveled to China for an ocular of the possible venue for the pageant. They were accompanied by architect Richele Singson, daughter of former Ilocos Sur Governor, Chavit Singson and other officials of Hangzhou.
The talks broke down over China’s refusal to air the pageant live.
“China does not want to air the Miss Universe beauty contest live. All these years, the beauty pageant has been airing live so the organizers could not imagine if the event is taped or delayed,” the sources added.
“This time, the pageant will feature more about the Philippines. In 2016, many people were disappointed on the broadcast of the Miss Universe pageant because it did not really highlight the beauty of our country. But this time, the broadcast will showcase wellness and tourism in the Philippines,” the sources assured.
There is still no venue and date for the Miss Universe 2018 pageant but sources said it might be held in Boracay later this year.
But if the Philippines will host the pageant – the fourth time – it will no longer be organized by ex-Gov. Singson.
“They are considering another group,” the sources revealed.
Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo said last April 14, President Duterte floated the idea of hosting the Miss Universe 2018 pageant in Boracay.
The world famous vacation island will be closed for a six-month rehabilitation starting April 26.
The third time the Philippines hosted the Miss Universe pageant was on January 30, 2017.
By Robert R. Requintina of the Manila Bulletin